Monday, May 22, 2006

And we're back

Okay, I've decided to resurrect this ol' blog.

There's been a lot of changes in the last 4 years, and I'd like to use this space to post thoughts and articles on some of the topics that are near and dear to me.


Viridian refers to a philosophy put forward by Austin's own cyberpunk author Bruce Sterling. Also referred to as "bright green", it combines the global awareness and social consciousness of the Green movement with technophilia and an optimistic outlook towards the future.


Veg*n is a wildcard match for both vegetarian and vegan and is used as an umbrella term to encompass both philosophies. The more I learn, the more I'm a fan of the vegan world view. Don't insist on perfection, but do your best to avoid spending your hard-earned dollars to pay people to destroy the environment, maintain world hunger, and cause untold suffering to billions of feeling creatures across the globe.
For me, veg*nism is a journey. One should always be willing to push themselves just past their comfort zone towards their ideals. Thus is progress made.
While not vegan myself, I am constantly inspired by my role-model and wife Karen, who is vegan, as well as being the most empathetic and upstanding person around in general.


Transhumanism is the belief that through advancing technology, we can overcome the biological limitations of the human condition. As our ancestors did when they cultivated agriculture, or invented the first medicines and vaccines, human history has been a story of taking our destiny into our own hands. In the last 100 years we have conquered many diseases and significantly extended the human lifespan. In the next 100 years we may conquer death itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home