Monday, July 24, 2006

Meditation Found To Increase Brain Size



"People who meditate grow bigger brains than those who don't. Researchers at Harvard, Yale, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have found the first evidence that meditation can alter the physical structure of our brains. Brain scans they conducted reveal that experienced meditators boasted increased thickness in parts of the brain that deal with attention and processing sensory input. In one area of gray matter, the thickening turns out to be more pronounced in older than in younger people. That's intriguing because those sections of the human cortex, or thinking cap, normally get thinner as we age."

[ Link via Hugg ]

1 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say that I find this blog absolutely amazing? I'm also green, vegan, free-thinking, transhuman, and libertarian. It definitely surprised me to run across this blog, as I'd never found anyone who had the same peculiar mix of traits.

Can you recommend any good resources for getting started with meditation? It's been on my to-do list for a while, but I've simply no idea where to start.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home